Recent General Posts
Homeowner Tip - Hydrogen Peroxide
Household Item Spotlight
Did you know you can use hydrogen peroxide as a non-toxic cleaner AND disinfectant??
Add one cup of hydrogen peroxide to your load of whites, add regular detergents and it will lift any of those tough stains out!
If your grout could use a little bit of a cleaning (most of ours could):
Mix one part peroxide and 2 parts baking soda, and a drop of dish soap together. Apply to the grout with a toothbrush and let sit for about 30 minutes. Scrub the area with the toothbrush and rinse, then dry!
Sometimes cleaning your toilet bowl with store bought chemicals just doesn't do the job. Pour 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide into the toilet bowl, and scrub a little with the toilet brush to ensure it gets all around. DON'T flush yet! Let it sit for 20-30 minutes, come back and scrub with the brush again and then give it a flush!
Rid your fruits and veggies of pesticides:
Fill the sink or a container with 1 liter of water and 1 cup hydrogen peroxide.
Soak the fruits and veggies for 5 minutes, then rinse with water, and they're good to go
Before you chop your fruits and vegetables, disinfect your cutting board using peroxide as well.
First wash your cutting board as you usually would, then rinse it. Spray the hydrogen peroxide using a spray bottle directly onto the board. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe clean
These are just a few of the useful things peroxide can do other than clean your wound! For more click here.
Homeowner Tip - Reducing/ Removing Pet Odors - Pawtucket
Be sure you are using pet safe cleaning products
Removing Pet Odors from your Home
Although we love our furry friends, we don’t love the smells they leave around the house. Although it may seem impossible to get rid of that smell, it isn’t! Just takes a little bit of effort!
- Sweep and/or mop the floors.
- Removing all of the hair, dander, and dust will help eliminate those odors.
- It is best to sweep gently so all the stuff doesn’t just go into the air and back to the floor.
- When you’re mopping, be sure you’re using pet safe cleaners
- Vacuum the rugs
- Carpets trap and hold a huge amount of dust, hair, and other debris. To get rid of that smell, you’ll want to vacuum every possible inch of the rug, then do it again.
- If you do go for a second time over, empty the canister first.
- Wash your couch cushion covers and pillows/ cases
- Fabric is like a carpet, it’ll trap the scent too.
- Washing your clothes won’t fix the house smell, but you’ll smell better when you leave the house.
- Wash your pets bed
- This is probably the stinkiest item in the house because every time they go for a nap, more hair, fur, dander, dust and more is getting layered onto the bed.
- Most dog beds are machine washable, so just pop it in the washer.
- Once it’s washed, consider treating it with a (pet safe) stain repellent.
- In the warmer months, open some windows and doors to let some fresh air circulate throughout.
- Turn on fans to get the air flowing.
- Change the air filters in your home
- Clogged air filters won’t directly affect the smell, but it doesn’t allow air to circulate through the home as well as it should, therefore the stink will be stuck
- In between your thorough cleaning, purchase air fresheners or candles.
- Make sure if you’re using a candle or other fresheners, your pup can’t reach them.
Homeowner Tip - Cleaning your Silverware
If your silverware took a beating after the holidays, or it just needs some TLC, this one's for you!
Keeping your silverware clean can be a pain in the (you know what), especially if you use it regularly.
Before you start cleaning your silverware, it’s a good idea to know what material it is made out of, because different materials need different cleaning methods. Just like different types of damage require different SERVPRO cleaning methods.
Everyday silverware (or flatware) is made from stainless steel, therefore it’s not as fragile as fine silverware.
Fine silverware is usually made from sterling silver.
When cleaning your silverware, no matter what it is made of, you should not use abrasive, hard brushes. Instead use a cleaning cloth or other soft material.
Cleaning basic flatware
Basic/ everyday flatware is very easy to clean. You can use any dish washing detergent to clean your flatware on an every day basis. Experts suggest staying away from cleaning products that are abrasive or contain bleach. This can damage your utensils.
- Use hot water when cleaning your utensils, to disinfect.
- To remove stains from silverware, you can use olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and some other items.
- Mix 3 parts warm water with 1 part vinegar and let the utensils soak for about 30 minutes. Then dry with a cloth.
- You can also use a stainless steel cleaner before you soak the utensils for an extra clean.
Cleaning fine silverware
Fine silverware should never be put in the dishwasher. The detergents can damage the silver.
- Avoid using cleaners with citrusy scents and vinegar. These products are too harsh for fine silverware.
- Using just soap and warm water will do a great job of cleaning your fine silverware
- Dry immediately after to avoid water spots
Polishing fine silverware
Put the silver polish on, then immediately rinse with hot water, and dry immediately to avoid any water spots.
Be sure to store your silverware safely in an airtight container and each in their own tarnish-proof bags.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram
As always, we're here 24/7 to help you, if you need us at 2AM for a water leak in your basement, we'll be here! Just give us a call at (401) 949-9955
Homeowner Tip - Patching Drywall Like a Pro
Have you had a hole in your wall covered up with a photo for 6 months? It's time to fix that hole and get rid of that "Live, Laugh, Love" photo frame you got at the dollar store.
Here are the steps for basic drywall repairs:
- Cut a piece of drywall that will cover the hole. Cut it in a square shape
- Cut the damaged wall to fit the drywall patch
- If there is no stud where you cut, attach a piece of wood to the remaining drywall on both sides.
- Attach the patch! Use screws in all 4 corners, and make sure it is secure
- To fill the gaps between the wall and patch. Use fiberglass mesh cut the size you need and cover the seams.
- Apply several layers of joint compound.
- Each layer needs to dry before applying another.
- Once the layers are built up enough, sand them down so they are even with the wall. Be sure there are no cracks or globs.
- Then just paint!!
And now you can get rid of that dollar store photo
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island is here 24/7 for you! Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you need us for any water, fire, storm, or mold related damage to your Central Falls home or business.
Homeowner Tip - Daily Habits to Keep Your House Clean
Make a chore list for the kids to follow weekly, or daily!
Do you dread the day you put aside to clean your house? You can make it so that you don't have to make a whole day of it by doing some simple things every day to keep it nice and tidy! If you keep yourself in a routing of doing these every day it will get easier, just like brushing your teeth in the morning.
- Make your bed every morning
- This will start your day off well, knowing that you have already accomplished something
- Do one load of laundry per day
- This will vary depending on how much laundry you do per week normally, but this will make it so that you don't have to do one big load and fold it all at once!
- Make a list of what needs to be done NOW
- And a list of what can be done over the next few days
- Get the kids (and/or spouse) involved!
- They might put up a fight at first, but this will make it easier on you, and they will eventually get into the habit as well.
- Do a 20 minute nightly cleaning with the whole family
- Have the kids tidy their rooms
- Take the trash out
- Never leave a room empty handed
- Do a scan of each room and see if there is anything you can take with you
- Dirty Laundry
- Clean laundry
- De clutter and organize
- This will cut down on time needed to "actually" clean
- Clean as you go
- This goes side by side with never leaving a room empty handed
- Load dishes into the dishwasher right away rather than leaving them on the counter
- Put your shoes and coat away as soon as you walk in
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island will be posting weekly tips for you at home! Check back every Tuesday for more ?? If you have any suggestions or tips of your own you'd like to see, let us know on Twitter, Facebook or send us an email!
As always, we're here 24/7 for you! Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you experience a fire, water, or storm related disaster at your home or business.
TIPS for a Healthy Autumn in Rhode Island
Autumn is finally here. The leaves are changing, it's cooler, the days are shorter and the nights are longer. Autumn is a beautiful time of year, and you should make the most out of this crisp, fresh season.
SERVPRO Autumn Tips
- Remind yourself to be motivated - Fall and Winter are staple times for laziness and comfort food. Do activities in your morning routine to get yourself more uplifted and energized for the day
- Eat healthy food - Fall and Winter is a season chock-full of amazing comfort food. There's apple pie, stuffing, pumpkin muffins, and beef stew to name a few. Research shows that what we put into our body has an affect on not just physical health but emotional health as well.
- Allergies - With the change of the season comes allergies. There are many treatments for allergies. Read our past post about essential oils. There are many foods which you can eat to boost your immune system as well, like dark green vegetables, onions, turnips, and garlic.
- Call SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island for your fire, water, and mold damage. 401-949-9955
- Essential Oils - Consider using more natural cleaning alternatives. Fall and winter are times where more people are indoors, so it's wise to use safer products for your loved ones so they're not breathing in toxic cleaning chemicals.
SERVPRO is a Golf PGA TOUR partner
SERVPRO is a Golf PGA TOUR partner
SERVPRO joined the PGA TOUR's Official Marketing Partner in 2014.
SERVPRO receives the designation as "Official Cleanup and Restoration Company of the PGA TOUR and Champions Tour." SERVPRO will have the opportunity to have a brand presence at tournaments on both Tours and promote its official affiliation using the PGA TOUR and Champions Tour logos.
SERVPRO will respond to disaster cleanups all over Rhode Island for smoke, fire, water cleanup and restoration services. If you have a disaster in a commercial or residential building we can help you clean up.
PGA stated: "We take great pride in the quality of our sponsors, and SERVPRO is not only recognized as the brand leader in its own industry but also one of the top franchises in the country," said Jay Monahan, PGA TOUR Chief Marketing Officer. "We are extremely pleased to announce our new marketing relationship with SERVPRO and look forward to working together to maximize its sponsorship with the PGA TOUR and Champions Tour."
SERVPRO Extends PGA Tour Sponsorship through 2020
Esmond, RI January 17th, 2018 - SERVPRO has extended their sponsorship with the PGA Tour through the 2020 season, retaining their designation as the official cleanup and restoration company of both the PGA Tour and the Champions Tour according to local entrepreneur Donald McKendall, owner of SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island. SERVPRO's first event of the 2018 PGA Tour season tees up this week with the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Golf Course.
"We are proud, both personally and as a part of the SERVPRO family, to be associated with the prestigious and well-respected PGA Tour," said McKendall. "This sponsorship allows us to showcase our capabilities not only to the communities where PGA events are held, but also to the huge television and online audience that follows the Tour. Both individual property owners and commercial facility owners will have the opportunity to learn about SERVPRO and the services offered as they enjoy watching the world's best players compete on the world's most beautiful golf courses."
Sue Steen, SERVPRO Industries, Inc., Chief Executive Officer, reveals that SERVPRO will have a presence at several PGA Tour tournaments in 2018, including The Players Championship and The TOUR Championship. "In addition, we plan to be involved with First Responder events throughout the PGA Tour year," said Steen.
"SERVPRO is a national leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services, but each SERVPRO Franchise is a local business, operate by a local business person with ties to the community that he or she serves," says Steen. "The wide and growing audience the PGA Tour commands will learn a SERVPRO professional is available in their local community, ready to respond at a moment's notice if things go wrong at their home or business."
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup and repair services, helping to remediate damage, making it "Like it never even happened." for both commercial and residential customers. For more information on SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, please contact Donald McKendall at (401) 949-9955 or Don@SERVPROmckendall.com.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
What is Red Nose Day?
Red Nose Day
Known as Comic Relief, the charity was founded in 1985 by Richard Curtis and comedian Lenny Henry, in response to famine in Ethiopia. For over thirty-years, the charity has primarily focused on the promotion of comedy to showcase what laughter can do for those that live behind the poverty line. This is all done through Red Nose Day.
In Britain, Red Nose Day is a biennial telethon, typically held in March that raises funds to be donated all over the world. However, for the past two years the holiday has formally become introduced to American society, bringing celebrities and every day citizens together in the fight to end child poverty.
This year, the official date is May 25th, 2017.
We at SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island are traveling all over the state of Rhode Island, doing everything we can to show support to this great cause. So, don’t be afraid to put on those noses and help spread the word!
Start Spring With a TPC Boston Membership!
Then course is now open! As a reminder, TPC Boston is welcoming spring with an early-season membership offer now through April 15th. With a membership at TPC Boston, you can entertain clients, improve your game, spend quality time with your family and friends, or even host business meetings.
- Entertaining at the Highest Level
- Family Privileges
- TPC Network Access
- Full Member Event Schedule
There's a lot to look forward to in 2017 at TPC Boston. The TPC Network is growing in size, with over 100 clubs available to TPC Boston Members. TPC will be unveiling two completely redesigned holes by Golf Course Architect, Gil Hanse and welcoming Dell Technologies as the new Title Sponsor of their PGA Tour playoff event. Their highly-rated Clubhouse is continually adding amenities, all without any assessments to members. Make TPC Boston your home away from home in 2017.
If you have any questions about TPC Boston or the benefits of a membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nine Reasons to use SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island
- Critical Response – SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island is equipped with 24-hour emergency response, which means you can get help fast!
- Trust – Since 1967, SERVPRO has been earning your trust. You know you can trust the results from our franchise.
- Trained Professionals – You want competent results on every job. SERVPRO’s dedication to training ensures the results you receive are professional and efficient.
- Communication – The first job of our franchise is to address the needs of the homeowner and to ensure the homeowner is pleased with the service.
- Testing Restorability – You will know what can be restored when you put a SERVPRO professional on the job. The difference is obvious!
- Professional Equipment – SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island have access to the proper equipment to handle your loss situation, and know how to use it!
- Organization – You need an organized vendor that focuses on the details to make sure the job goes well. That’s SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island.
- Customer Satisfaction – It is our top priority to make you satisfied with our services, which is why we aim to handle jobs both professionally and in a timely manner.
- Save Time & Money – Restoration saves both time and money. Be sure to call SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island to realize the benefits that YOU deserve!
Protocol for Cleaning Swine flu & Norovirus Viruses
Our three franchises have the protocol and product to clean!
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island recommends the following job process for cleaning:
- Wear PPE consisting of full Tyvek, full face respirator, gloves and foot protection.
- Mist the immediate area with the EPA registered disinfectant using the #716 MacroMist II ULV Fogger at a rate of ~8 oz per 2,000 sq. ft or 20,000 cu. ft.
- Allow a 30 minute dwell time.
- Ventilate and wipe down with a clean towel.
Swine Flu is an airborne virus. Airborne viruses are only viable outside of a human body for a limited period of time. This type of disease is transmitted by sneezing and coughing. Airborne viruses are generally not transmitted by secondary contact as is the case with many bacterial infections. Please advise customers this treatment is not meant to be a 100% defense against the Swine Flu, and you are not assuming any liability for future outbreaks in treated structures. A carrier of the Swine Flu could easily enter the structure post cleaning and cough or sneeze on others and transmit the disease. The current Swine Flu is a new strain. The information presented is based on the current information being offered by the CDC.
Commercial Buildings-Schools- Nursing Homes
Independently Owned & Operated by McKendall & Associates, Inc.
Baton Rouge Area Foundation
How YOU can help those affected by the recent flooding down in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
The Baton Rouge Area Foundation is currently providing assistance across South Louisiana where it can. The main goal and objective of the Foundation is to get money quickly to where it is needed the most. One way is the Louisiana Relief Fund. The other are through employee assistance funds, where employees can assist their own employees and receive tax deductions for contributions.
What the Foundation is doing today (Via Braf.org)
- In teams of two, Foundation employees are visiting each of the shelters, seeing what may be needed and making sure the shelters are able to handle the evacuees.
- They are assisting companies and state agencies in starting employee assistance funds. Donations to the funds are tax deductible.
- They are beginning to make grants to nonprofits that are responding to the disaster.
For more information about making a donation, please visit www.braf.org/louisiana-flood-relief/.
Medal Count Update
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island has been keenly focused on the recent Olympics taking place in Rio. The past couple of weeks have shown just how dominant our nation can be on the world stage. Whether it’s swimming, gymnastics, basketball, or even track and field, our nation’s athletes are dominating the medal count. As of August 16th, here’s what the standings are:
- United States – 27 (G) 24 (S) 26 (B) = 77 total
- Great Britain – 16 (G) 17 (S) 8 (B) = 41 total
- China – 15 (G) 14 (S) 18 (B) = 47 total
- Russia – 11 (G) 12 (S) 13 (B) = 47 total
- Germany – 9 (G) 7 (S) 6 (B) = 22 total
- Italy – 8 (G) 9 (S) 6 (B) = 23 total
- France – 7 (G) 10 (S) 10 (B) = 27 total
- Japan – 7 (G) 4 (S) 16 (B) = 27 total
- Netherlands – 7 (G) 2 (S) 3 (B) = 12 total
- Australia – 6 (G) 7 (S) 9 (B) = 22 total
With a little less than a week to go, SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island would like to wish all of the athletes luck, as they all compete to win the gold!
SERVPRO® of Northern Rhode Island Goes “All In” at SERVPRO Convention
47th annual event sets another record for attendance
(Grassroots Newswire) - SERVPRO®, an industry leader in disaster cleanup, restoration and remediation services, welcomed a record-breaking group of more than 2800 franchise owners, key staff and corporate representatives, including SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, to their 47th Annual SERVPRO® Convention, held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas from June 26 to 30.
The week of workshops, networking and keynote presentations was based on the theme “All In” and was designed to unite franchise owners, team members, distributors and associates.
“For a small business owner, time is money. But the time spent at this annual event is time well spent,” said Don McKendall, owner of SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island. “The combination of workshops, speakers and networking provides attendees with actionable business insights, an industry overview and practical tips and tricks from others in the same field. In my view, SERVPRO’s convention benefits not only their franchisees but also the communities that their franchisees serve.”
This year’s “All In” convention program featured a keynote address by motivational speaker Connie Podesta (http://conniepodesta.com/), who takes a humorous and dynamic approach to promoting communications, and increasing sales and 28 workshop sessions focused on leadership training and providing resources designed to help each Franchise grow and better serve their community.
“SERVPRO understands running a small business is a challenge,” said Sue Steen, Chief Executive Officer of SERVPRO Industries, Inc. “Our annual convention gives us the opportunity to recognize individual franchisees that have excelled at building their businesses and enhancing SERVPRO’s reputation as an industry leader in disaster cleanup, restoration and remediation services. We offer our sincere congratulations to this year’s award winners and to all of the dedicated professionals who work hard every day to provide world-class service to their customers.”
For more information about SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, please contact Don McKendall at (401) 949-9955 or Don@SERVPROMcKendall.com or visit http://www.SERVPROnorthernrhodeisland.com/.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO® Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO® System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
Commercial Clean Up & Restoration Services Rhode Island
Commercial Clean Up & Restoration Services Rhode Island
Your commercial property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island Franchise Professionals have the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Commercial Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Call SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island at (401) 949-9955!