8 Tips To Protect Your Commercial Property from Flooding
Business Owners - This one's for you!
Establishing a North Smithfield business is an exciting venture, but you might not ask yourself, “What if a flood or natural disaster occurs?”. Being prepared for anything in life is so important, especially if a lot of money is on the line. Here are important tips for when your commercial property has encountered flooding or storm damage. These tips will especially come in handy if you have a basement in your Rhode Island business.
8 Flood Prevention + Safety Tips for Your Business:
- Develop a Comprehensive Plan – Establishing a simple, straight-forward protocol for when a flood strikes can benefit yourself and your employees. Substantial communication is the key.
- Consider Flood Insurance – Damages from flooding can get very, very expensive. Damages can cost thousands and thousands of dollars. With insurance for your commercial business, you can have some peace of mind in the case of flash flooding or an unexpected storm.
- Inspect Area – Inspecting the area for any signs of water damage during severe rain is a good preventative measure. Looks for cracks and darker spots in the walls, ceilings, and flooring.
- Sump pump – Installing a sump pump will prevent water from seeping into the foundation.
- Waterproof membrane – Apply a waterproof seal around the areas you think water might enter. Filling in any cracks as well can help.
- Back-Flow Valve - Installing this in your main sewer pipe will prevent sewage backup.
- Anchor Fuel Tanks – Keep your fuel tanks anchored to prevent them from flowing away, falling over and spilling fuel into the area.
- Keep Calm and Call SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island at 401-949-9955 24/7 for your commercial or residential property.