What to do when you experience a sewage backup
When you experience a sewage backup in your Johnston home or business it can disrupt your daily routine and it can be stinky, smelly, and just a big huge mess.
Sewage presents a number of health hazards as well as sanitation issues and may result in property damage as well as health issues. Sewage backups have to be dealt with properly and as soon as possible!
Depending on how bad the back up is you might be able to limit the damage, save your belongings, or try to handle the problem yourself. At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island we suggest that you contact a professional rather than attempting to clean it yourself.
After any sewage backup situation it is important to evacuate anyone from the home until is restored and safe to reenter
It is a good idea to contact your utility company to shut off your electricity gas and water if the backup is that severe. If it is not that severe and you can turn off the power and water SAFELY yourself, it is okay to do so.
You can also open some windows to help ventilate the area, and take away any dry, uncontaminated items and put them in a safer area of the home or building.
It is also important that you notify your insurance company that there has been a sewage backup and make sure you document the affected areas and items. (This will be used as proof for your claim)
How SERVPRO handles sewage backups
- When you call us at SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island we'll respond to your sewage backup situation as soon as possible so you can get back to your daily life / get your business back in working order!
- When we arrive at your home or business will begin to remove the contaminated water and any solid waste in a safe and effective manner.
- Once all the water and waste is gone we will begin to clean and sanitize the affected area or the entire home or building if it is necessary.
- Once the area is sanitized and cleaned we will then use professional grade dehumidifiers and or air movers to get rid of any excess moisture.
- Once these processes are done we can begin cleaning any affected items such as furniture and flooring, mitigate any mold if it is necessary.
- Then begins the restoration process! (If anything needed to be removed)
When you choose SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, you are getting
- Water Extraction
- Odor Removal
- Content Cleaning
- and Restoration
All in one! That's why we're YOUR #1 choice for disaster cleanup and restoration!