Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold - Don't let it Spread!
From the Ordinary
Fungi and mold naturally occur in our environment. In fact, over 100,000 kinds of fungi have been identified.
Fungi produce some very useful results. Yeast is a type of fungi used in preparing bread, baked goods, and other food products, including some alcoholic beverages. The unique flavor of blue cheese is a result of mold. An edible mushroom is simply a type of fungi, and life-saving penicillin is a product of mold (Penicillin chrysogenum).
Even though some forms of mold can add value to our lives, other forms can be harmful. Excessive amounts of mold, different types of mold, and/or exposure to molds may present concerns for some people.
To the Unhealthy
The intrusion of water into your home or place of business can result in mold growth. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. When water intrusions are not addressed right away, the resulting damage can present increased risk of harmful mold growth. Some amount of mold spores are normally present in most environments. If the humidity and moisture levels in a water-damaged environment are not promptly returned to normal, mold spores may grow and multiply. Organic materials found inside a building, such as wood, paper, drywall, and insulation, provide food sources for mold to flourish.
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island handles water damages every day and knows that prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread when an environment has been subject to moisture for a long period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to remove excess water and dry the structure promptly. If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
The conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Help is Here
If you think you might have a problem, call SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island at (401) 949-9955. Our crew(s) are trained in mold remediation and they will examine the structure for any visible signs of mold. In the event that mold is found, you will be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed. The technician may also recommend you leave the affected area while the mold cleanup and associated containment process is being safely completed.
If extensive mold growth is present, additional assistance may be required. Some situations require the addition of an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional with the specialized equipment and services needed to assess and/or repair the property. You may wish to consult your adjuster if needed.
The Mold Remediation Process
- Emergency Contact (401) 949-9955 The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel.
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources.
- Mold Containment Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mold.
- Air Filtration Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We’ll use anti-fungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, to remediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other "restorable" items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
- Restoration Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, sub-floors, and other building materials may have been removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal.
What is Mold Remediation?
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. Either traditional methods of remediation could be used to remove mold from the affected areas or modern techniques may be necessary, depending on the type and size of the job.
A mold remediation specialist will likely begin the cleaning process by thoroughly vacuuming the contaminated areas using a HEPA vacuum with a high-efficiency filter to catch mold spores. They will then begin a detailed cleaning process involving mold removal tools such as a HEPA filtered sander, followed by the damp wiping of surfaces with an effective cleaning solution, such as antimicrobial solutions, while continuing to HEPA vacuum simultaneously.
Modern techniques may call for dry ice blasting technology, usually performed on large commercial properties.
Non-Porous Materials - (e.g. glass, metal, hard plastic) that once had mold on them can be used again after they have been completely cleaned. Because the materials are non-porous, there will be no more mold below the surface so cleaning the surface mold will take care of the problem.
In addition, technicians can also clean furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings; and we are trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call at (401) 949-9955!
Mold Damage - Smithfield, RI
It’s the day of a family party, and you remember that all of your chairs, tables, and decorations, are downstairs in the basement. You take one step down the stairs, and are immediately slammed in the face by a foul odor. You’re curious as to what this odor could be, but you choose to ignore it. After a couple of weeks, the smell becomes so strong, you cannot even stand to be in your basement for more than a minute. The cause of this, is most likely mold.
Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Although it is nearly impossible to eradicate all mold from a given area, it is immensely important to contact SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island when you believe your home or workplace has a mold infestation. With the ability to spread throughout a property in as little as 48 hours, immediate action can help protect you and your loved ones from the potential health effects of mold.
If you have any questions or are experiencing a similar situation in your home, please call SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island at (401) 949-9955 or visit our Facebook page!
Mold - Beware!
Here at SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, we understand the dangers associated with having mold in your East Providence, RI property.
But do you?
There are thousands of known mold species. Mold reproduces by producing a large number of small spores, typically containing one nucleus. However, some spores can contain more than one and they are referred to as "multinucleate."
Certain mold(s) can even grow on dead organic matter everywhere in nature. Their presence is of course only visible when they begin to form large colonies. Typically, this is when you should give SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island a call.
In as little as 48 hours from the first spore, mold can feed off of moisture and cluster wherever moisture is present. This is typically why mold is found to be in homeowner's basements.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding mold in your home, please do not hesitate to give us a call at (401) 949-9955!
Does Your Woonsocket, RI Property Have Mold?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
Call us at (401) 949-9955!
Here at SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, we care about proper restoration of your structure. In most water damage situations, excessive mold growth is not a problem and our professionals can safely restore your building to preloss condition. The need to address the presence of mold can only be determined by an on-site, indoor environmental inspection. please keep in mind that we do not interpret insurance policies or coverage; you must consult your insurance company to determine the scope of policy coverage.
Health concerns may arise when excessive mold grows indoors. Concerns are more likely to arise for "at risk" people, which might include immune suppressed or compromised individuals, young children and individuals with chronic inflammatory lung diseases such as asthma and severe allergies. However, anyone may experience health problems associated with exposure to mold in damp buildings.
Possible health effects include: runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aggravation of asthma, sore throat or inflammation of the sinuses.
People most at risk include:
- Infants and children.
- Pregnant women.
- The elderly.
- People with compromised respiratory systems or asthma and allergies.
- People with weakened immune systems.