Patching Drywall Like a Pro
Have you had a hole in your wall covered up with a photo for 6 months? It's time to fix that hole and get rid of that "Live, Laugh, Love" photo frame you got at the dollar store.
Here are the steps for basic drywall repairs:
- Cut a piece of drywall that will cover the hole. Cut it in a square shape
- Cut the damaged wall to fit the drywall patch
- If there is no stud where you cut, attach a piece of wood to the remaining drywall on both sides.
- Attach the patch! Use screws in all 4 corners, and make sure it is secure
- To fill the gaps between the wall and patch. Use fiberglass mesh cut the size you need and cover the seams.
- Apply several layers of joint compound.
- Each layer needs to dry before applying another.
- Once the layers are built up enough, sand them down so they are even with the wall. Be sure there are no cracks or globs.
- Then just paint!!
And now you can get rid of that dollar store photo
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island is here 24/7 for you! Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you need us for any water, fire, storm, or mold related damage to your Central Falls home or business.
Wet Insulation - East Providence
Spray foam insulation
Closed cell spray foam insulation repels water and provides a moisture barrier. This means the water won't penetrate the insulation itself, and can evaporate from the surface.
To clean up, use a towel to dry the spray foam and place a fan nearby to dry out any other water.
Since fiberglass insulation is made from glass fibers, they won't absorb water, and if water does intrude, it won't cause much major damage.
But, if water has accumulated in the insulation, it will decrease the functionality of it.
When you're handling fiberglass insulation, be sure to wear gloves, long pants, long sleeve shirts, protective eye wear, and a breathing mask.
Since this kind of insulation is made from plant fibers, they will absorb moisture like a sponge. If the damage is only minimal, you might be able to have the small area removed and replaced or dried.
Foam Board Insulation
Just like spray foam insulation, foam board insulation can repel water and won't host mold or mildew. But, if it does get wet, it will trap moisture in the wall cavity and create an environment for mold and mildew growth.
For more information about what you can do when insulation gets wet click here
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island is here to help you if any water damage occurs in your East Providence home or business. Call us at (401) 949-9955
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Daily Habits to Keep Your House Clean
Make a chore list for the kids to follow weekly, or daily!
Do you dread the day you put aside to clean your house? You can make it so that you don't have to make a whole day of it by doing some simple things every day to keep it nice and tidy! If you keep yourself in a routing of doing these every day it will get easier, just like brushing your teeth in the morning.
- Make your bed every morning
- This will start your day off well, knowing that you have already accomplished something
- Do one load of laundry per day
- This will vary depending on how much laundry you do per week normally, but this will make it so that you don't have to do one big load and fold it all at once!
- Make a list of what needs to be done NOW
- And a list of what can be done over the next few days
- Get the kids (and/or spouse) involved!
- They might put up a fight at first, but this will make it easier on you, and they will eventually get into the habit as well.
- Do a 20 minute nightly cleaning with the whole family
- Have the kids tidy their rooms
- Take the trash out
- Never leave a room empty handed
- Do a scan of each room and see if there is anything you can take with you
- Dirty Laundry
- Clean laundry
- De clutter and organize
- This will cut down on time needed to "actually" clean
- Clean as you go
- This goes side by side with never leaving a room empty handed
- Load dishes into the dishwasher right away rather than leaving them on the counter
- Put your shoes and coat away as soon as you walk in
SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island will be posting weekly tips for you at home! Check back every Tuesday for more ?? If you have any suggestions or tips of your own you'd like to see, let us know on Twitter, Facebook or send us an email!
As always, we're here 24/7 for you! Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you experience a fire, water, or storm related disaster at your home or business.
Fire Damage Restoration
Call us at (401) 949-9955 to get the restoration process started right away!
At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, our number one priority is to return your damaged home or commercial building back to its preloss conditions. We will do everything we can to make it "Like it never even happened." When a fire happens, you do not want to waste time searching and searching for fire damage restoration companies. You will want a company that responds fast, and will walk you through the process.
To save you some research time, here is our emergency fire damage process:
Within one hour
Within one hour of notice of your loss, SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island will contact you to arrange for service.
Within four hours
Within four hours of notice of loss, our team will be onsite to start the mitigation services. By responding Faster to Any Size Disaster, we are saving you money by reducing any secondary damage that could've occurred if you had to wait longer.
One of our highly trained professionals will talk you through the entire process, step-by-step, explaining what you should expect and what the outcome will be.
Our professional(s) will begin pretesting for restorability, working from the initial source of damage, outwards.
Within eight hours
Within eight hours of arrival, a verbal briefing of the area will be communicated to the appropriate personnel, usually your adjuster or property manager.
Cleaning, restoration, and deodorization
Once all the logistics are taken care of, our professionals will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property. With our state-of-the-art techniques and equipment, we will make sure that your property is taken care of right, the FIRST time.
Once the work is completed, a final walk-through will be conducted with you to be sure you are satisfied.
If you have any questions about our fire damage restoration or the process itself, give us a call at (401) 949-9955, we're here 24/7 for YOU!
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter. And Like us on Facebook.
Why SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island??
When water runs a muck in your home, it sure can cause a lot more damage than it looks on the surface. Without tools to detect the path of the water and hidden water, damage can go unnoticed. Our crews are highly trained to use the correct tools and use all of the equipment to properly get the job done, and prevent any further damage.
Our techs are trained to trace water that lingers behind walls, counter tops etc. They are trained to solve the problems before they can get any worse.
At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, one tool that we use to determine if the water is completely gone and the area is dry are moisture meters. The meters will show the levels of water that is absorbed in materials such as drywall, wood, and more. Using these tools will help our techs determine an effective drying plan for the affected areas. The moisture meters will be used every day until the process is complete, and they read optimal levels.
The state of the art equipment and training that our techs use are just two answers to: why SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island?? Call us at (401) 949-9955 if your Northern RI home suffers from a water damage.
24 Hour Emergency Response - Rhode Island
We’re faster to any size disaster!
At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, we’ll be there as fast as possible to your commercial or residential property. We serve communities like North Smithfield, Woonsocket, Cumberland, Central Falls and more!
We are a leader in the disaster and restoration industry, properly trained with the effective protocols when an emergency strikes your North Smithfield home. We understand that storms and fires don’t wait for a convenient time to happen. That’s why we’re here 24/7 365! Our certified team of professionals and top of the line equipment are here to help you and your friends and family!
Sometimes immediate action is needed when it comes to damage to your home or business. At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, we are strategically positioned to be faster to any size disaster! We aim to have our response times in minutes, not hours in emergencies!
Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you need emergency services! We’re here to help 24/7
Bio hazardous Materials
When you hear bio-hazard you probably think blood… this is an example of a bio hazard, but did you know that sewage is also a bio hazardous material?
Sewage is one of the most dangerous substances that you could come in contact with in your home or business. It could cause you to become very ill. Unfortunately people don’t understand how hazardous sewage really is. Give SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island a call if you suffer from a sewage loss, we’re trained to handle these types of situations and we’re here 24/7 to help you!
- Sewage contains a variety of bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi. These can cause someone to become very sick.
- Sewage exposure is more dangerous for people with weak immune systems, children under 2 and adults over 60, pregnant women etc.
- It is absolutely not safe to stay in a building that has been flooded with sewage, unless the area can be completely sealed off.
- If your carpet, bedding, and paper, or materials that can’t be washed with hot water, have been contaminated by sewage, they need to be contained and disposed of. This can include insulation and drywall as well.
- There is an extreme health risk if these items are not properly taken care of.
- Only people that are highly and specifically trained to handle these types of disasters should remediate sewage.
Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you suffer from a sewage loss at your Rhode Island home or business. We’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”
What happens after a storm damage to your Riverside home
After a storm has ended and damage has occurred to your home, there are some steps to take to begin the restoration restoration and cleanup process. These steps may include
- An assessment preformed by storm damage restoration experts (SERVPRO)
- A visit from your insurance adjuster
- Documentation of damage, this can be provided by your insurance company
- Water removal process
Restoring your home
There are multiple restoration methods that our teams use after a storm. After the water is removed from the home, our trained technicians will work to mitigate the damage by
- Drying: using dehumidifiers, air movers, and other equipment.
- A tear out: removing damaged materials such as drywall etc.
- Sanitation of the home or area.
- Restoration or replacement can begin
At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, we believe in restoring over replacing. Understanding that your home and belongings mean a lot to you! We will treat your home as it was our own.
What happens to your damaged belongings?
Damaged belongings are typically removed from the home after a storm. Rugs, clothing, curtains, and other cloth materials can be cleaned and restored if mold has not grown. Electronics can be more difficult to restore, but if you call us right away, the faster they may get restored. Whether or not any item can be restored, no matter the material, depends on the extent of the damage.
Call us at (401) 949-9955 if you experience storm damage to your home, we’re here to help make it “Like it never even happened.” For more info click here
Winterfest RI - Cumberland
Head to Winterfest in Cumberland this weekend or next!!
If you're looking for something that the kids will love and for a great price, head to 4097 Diamond Hill Rd Cumberland, RI for Winterfest! The cover charge is only $5 and that includes all meet and greets and kids train rides! ***This is cash only***
On Saturday December 14th - It's a Disney Takeover! (If it rains, these characters will be there on Sunday)
- Mickey & Goofy
- Buzz & Woody
- A surprise princess guest!
- and more!
Sunday December 15th - Santa!!
Saturday December 21st - Star Wars
Sunday December 22nd - Santa!!
Every night there will be a special surprise guest
For more information and any weather change updates see event page
Commercial Fire Damage
Our teams are experienced in limiting interruption to your business, school, or patients, working after hours and around the clock if needed to isolate and restore the damage.
Some of our commercial clients include:
- Retail stores
- We can handle a disaster at a small school, or at a university campus. We will work quickly to restore this situation.
- Healthcare facilities
- Our teams are specially trained to handle hazardous waste materials, comply with HIPPA regulations.
- Our teams are trained to comply to health codes, food safety, and environmental concerns.
- And more
Each type of commercial building is different and unique. At SERVPRO of Northern Rhode Island, our teams are trained to handle all types of fire damage in all types of facilities!
Commercial fire restoration comes with its own unique challenges. We will respond quickly and manage the project throughout the process until the end! We will get your school, restaurant, or nursing home back in business in no time!
Call us today if you are in need of a commercial fire restoration! (401) 949-9955
We are proud to be able to serve our local communities!
- Central Falls
- And more!